Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chia Seed Pudding


Chia Seed Pudding


Really. Make this as soon as possible. 
My husband's review: "I could seriously eat this every morning for breakfast."
(And then, he also ate it for dessert after dinner...)


Chia seeds are packed full of protein, antioxidents and fiber. Chia seeds are the richest plant form of Omega-3's. They are a true superfood. 
And this breakfast pudding is my new favorite food. 
After we went through the first batch in less than two days, I doubled the recipe below and made a big batch. I think this will last in the fridge for 5-6 days- but I am sure that you will eat it all before that.


Above is a close up of raw chia seeds before being added to liquid. They make a great binder for gluten free baking- (use as a substitute for xanthan gum and/or eggs in recipes) when water is added they become a gel-like slurry. A few tablespoons will help replace the gluten in your baking recipes to give the dough more plasticity (aka, less crumbly.)

 I buy my chia seeds in bulk from the Good Food Store in Missoula, Montana. You can find them online and at many health food stores. Regular grocers are catching on as well- ask someone to help you find them if you are not sure. 


{Amazing, delicious and healthy} 
Chia Seed Pudding

Ingredients

(can be doubled)
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk (or, vanilla almond milk- or whatever kind of milk you have:)
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt (use plain yogurt if you used vanilla flavored milk. If you used regular milk, use vanilla yogurt. I would not use vanilla milk and vanilla yogurt for fear that the pudding would be too sweet.)
  • 1/4 cup black chia seeds (I get them in bulk at my local health food store.)
  • 2 tbsp. agave nectar (or honey, or maple syrup... whatever you've got on hand. I bet you could also use a little jam as a sweeter option if you don't have any of the above sweetners.)



For serving
(optional, but recommended)

  • Fresh berries (I used blue berries and strawberries)
  • Sliced, lightly toasted almonds or walnuts



Process:

Combine milk, yogurt, chia seeds and agave nectar (or whatever sweetener you are using) in a bowl. 

Let stand on your counter for 30 minutes, then, cover & refrigerate overnight.  

In the morning- top with your favorite berry or  toasted nuts. 

Enjoy! 

Amy

2 comments: