Friday, November 1, 2013

Apple Oatmeal Muffins


{coffee + apple oat muffin = today is going to be a good day.} 


I adapted this recipe from this fantastic blog to make it gluten free. I swapped the oil for applesauce, added ground flax seed, and used regular oats. They came out perfectly. I think they would also be good with a shredded carrot in the batter. I'll try that next time. AlexandraCooks says you can use up to 1 cup of steel cut oats in this recipe for a little crunch. I only used 1/3 of a cup. But if you try it, leave a comment below and let me know how it goes. 

I brought these muffins to my girlfriends that I carpool with. Also, to my Advanced Art Studio class. All provided rave reviews. I think this recipe is a keeper. 

Gluten Free Apple Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients:

First group:
  • 2 1/3 cups oats  (I used 1/3 cup Steel cut oats. The recipe that I sourced this from said she has used up to a full cup steel cut. Use what you've got!
  • Flour blend: 1/4 cup white rice, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup millet flour, 1/4 cup tapioca starch (sometimes called tapioca flour.) 1 cup total flour. (I bet you could use any flour for the millet- (oat or almond come to mind.) Again, use what you've got!
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp. ground flax seed
  • 1.5 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon 

Second group:
  • 1 cup 0% greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup boiling water
  • 2 apples, peeled and diced * i used gala

Process.

+ add first group of ingredients together and stir with hand to blend
+ add in second to first and mix to combine
+ then add the boiling water
let stand 5 min
+ add the diced apples and give a quick stir to combine

(since I took out the oil and used applesauce instead, my first batch of muffins stuck to the liners. Which was fine, I would just eat the oats off the liner... ;) I started *lightly* spraying the liners with nonstick cooking spray, which helped.)

+ bake 25 min at 350.

Let cool on a wire cooking rack.

Makes about 22 muffins.

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment