Thursday, April 25, 2013

2013 Dirty Dozen



I try to eat mostly organic. I think about where my food comes from. I avoid eating and cooking with wheat. I especially pay attention to where meat comes from. We have a garden, shop at the farmer's market when available, and live on a street book-ended by two local grocers. I cook in big batches, but eat it all week. We use everything. I know that eating ALL organic ALL the time is hard. It is expensive. The Dirty Dozen is a list that I try to memorize, and try to buy organic when at all possible. (Costco has done a great job lately of having organic produce. With new items increasing. Thank you Costco!)
 I like that there is a clean 15 list, so that during months when it is a little tight, or things are out of season- I can buy non-orgainc things from that list and feel ok that I am not totally poising myself with my 'healthy' foods. 

Below is the 2013 Dirty Dozen list- with Apples at the top. (Perhaps we should update the old 'An apple a day' saying....)

DIRTY DOZEN 2013

Apples
Strawberries
Grapes 
Celery
Peaches
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Nectarines 
Cucumber 
Potatoes 
Cherry Tomatoes
Hot Peppers

This list was released by the EWG (Environmental Working Group). The above fruits and veggies are the highest in pesticide residue- even AFTER washing them! (read: It is important to buy the above fruits and veggies organic). 
Huffington Post, where I got this information, also released the 2013 'Clean 15' list. See below for the cleanest 15 veggies and produce:
CLEAN 15
Corn
Onions
Pineapple
Avacado 
Cabbage
Frozen Sweet Peas
Papaya 
Mangos
Asparagus
Eggplant 
Kiwi 
Grapefruit
Cantaloupe
Sweet Potatoes
Mushrooms

I still have my qualms about GMO corn, and GMO everything really. But for me, the above list is really nice to have to reference, for when organic is not a viable option. 
I get mango, asparagus, avocado, cantaloupe and frozen sweet peas in bulk at Costco. If they start to turn, I freeze them (the fruits) and use them in smoothies. 
Here's a great salad recipe, that calls for asparagus and avocado- buying in bulk sometimes forces you to have a mass cooking of veggies, and this salad would be perfect for getting rid of those ones who are on the edge. So good!

Eat healthy, be happy. 

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment